Limerick City Council
- Visiting Limerick
- Press releases
- Your Council
- Our Services
- City Library
- City Museum
- City Gallery of Art
- City Archives
- Emergency Services
- Contact us
To date, no Hose Licence has been issued by Limerick City Council.
Horses kept in the Limerick City Control Area must have a licence and only persons over the age of 16 can apply for a horse licence. A person who owns a number of horses must have a licence in respect of each horse. A licence costs €31.74, and this fee must accompany the application for a licence. The licence covers a period of 12 months from the date of issue on the licence.
When an application for a horse licence is received Limerick City Council make arrangements to have the horse and the premises at which the horse is ordinarily kept inspected and then decide to grant or refuse the licence. If a licence is to be granted the owner will have to arrange to have the horse identified by means of a microelectronic device implant before the licence will be issued. The number of this device will be included on the licence.
If the application is refused, the applicant will be notified in writing and any representations received by the authority within 14 days of this notification will be considered. If the authority having considered any representations made, refuses to grant a licence, the applicant will be notified in writing of the decision and the grounds for such a decision.
The applicant may, within 14 days of receipt of the second notification of refusal, appeal to the District Court. The refusal to grant a licence will be suspended until such time as the appeal is heard or withdrawn. If no appeal is made the decision to refuse to grant a licence will take effect after the period allowed for the appeal.
Horses brought into the Control Area for the purposes of a gymkhana, sale or showing of horses, or any event of an equine nature, for which the City Council has given prior written permission.
- Map & site details of land available for keeping a horse.
- Deeds of available land and Folio number of the land or documents relating to a lease agreement, where appropriate.
- Copy of insurance policy for horse.
- Letter of indemnity from Insurance Company to Limerick City Council.
- Evidence of availability of shelter/stables for horse with adequate ventilation, lighting etc.
- Evidence of availability of water supply for horse and food storage areas.
- In certain cases, evidence of age may be requested.