Limerick City Council
- Visiting Limerick
- Press releases
- Your Council
- Our Services
- City Library
- City Museum
- City Gallery of Art
- City Archives
- Emergency Services
- Contact us
Oral History Project
We are currently in the process of conducting an Oral History Project on Limerick City Council, this involves interviewing former LCC employees about their time in the council.
Note: The Oral History Project offers the personal views of former Limerick City Council employees. These may not represent the official policies of Limerick City Council.
Jim Barrett, Former Senior Architect
MS Word - 92 Kb |
PDF - 92 Kb)
Jim Barrett served as Limerick City Architect between 1984-1995, during this time he was involved in changing the landscape of the entire city by helping to modernise the councils approach towards developing the city. He worked in Limerick City Council at a time when many of the city’s best regarded public servants were involved, including Jim Kemmy and Jack Burke. In the interview Jim gives a vivid, witty account of Limerick City in the 1980s and early 1990s. He speaks retrospectively of the changes which took place in the city and the effects these continue to have. He also touches on the current economic downturn and how it affects both local authorities and the architectural profession in general
Charlie Daly, Former Chief Fire Officer Interview
MS Word - 74 Kb |
PDF - 74 Kb)
Charlie Daly was employed by Limerick Fire Service for more than forty years. His interview offers a revealing account of daily routines in the service, as well as his memories of the famous fires in Limerick. In his role as Chief Fire Officer, Mr Daly was involved in many of the initiatives which modernised the service. The most important of these was perhaps the setting up of Limerick Regional Control Centre, which today serves all of Munster.
Michael J. Lynch, Former City Engineer Interview
MS Word - 92 Kb |
PDF - 92 Kb)
Michael Lynch worked as engineer for Limerick City Council for 38 years, during this time he was involved in various projects including the expansion of Clareville Waterworks and the construction of the Garryowen housing estates. From his office in the Strand Barracks, Mr Lynch was responsible for several sections, including roads, cleansing, housing and sewerage. Through this varied portfolio Mr Lynch provides an illuminating account of the changes that occurred in these areas of city service over the years. He also offers insights into the changing nature of being a Corporation employee at the time.
Catholic Literary Institute Conservation Project: 2008 Heritage Council Grants Project
Catholic Literary Institute Conservation Pic1
The Limerick City Archives Annual Operation Plan for 2008 identified the Catholic Literary Institute Minute Book as the archive material, which was most urgently in need of conservation. This was due to the historical significance of the volume and the fact that, it was too fragile to be made available to researchers.
The Minute Book consists of 350 pages, and spans a twenty-year period, dating from 1886 to 1906. It is the single surviving record from the Catholic Literary Institute and therefore is an important source for local historians researching various nineteenth century people, places and subjects relating to Limerick city and county, and other researchers exploring themes such as education of the Catholic working classes, the national cultural revival, social lives and activities in Limerick, and the intertwining themes of Catholicism and nationalism in late nineteenth century Ireland.
The Catholic Literary Institute was founded by Edward Thomas O’Dwyer (who later became bishop of Limerick) shortly after he arrived in St. Michael’s parish, Limerick in 1874. The first meeting was held on the 12 November 1875. Membership of the Committee was confined to young Catholic men, who had to be nominated by two existing members and elected by ballot.
A Council of lay and religious members managed the Institute, and various sub- committees were also established annually such as the Finance Committee, Library Committee, Building Committee, Gymnasium Committee, and the Billiards Committee. The Minute Book contains handwritten minutes from council meetings and from the various sub-committees.
The minutes record meeting attendance and deal mainly with the financial and administrative affairs of the Institute arising out of operating a reading room, a library, a billiards room, a gymnasium, and organizing debates, lectures, concerts, Irish classes and other activities.
The minute book records resolutions passed at meetings; summary of correspondence received by the Institute; names and addresses of individuals elected by ballot to be members of the Institute; details of annual elections to the council and election of officers; details of bill paid; building work undertaken; fixtures and fittings; subscriptions and donations received; disputes between member; and most interestingly the consequences and recovery of the Institute from a fire at the Institutes premises in 1891.Minutes are generally signed by the president of the Institute or the honourable secretary.We would like to acknowledge the generous support of the Heritage Council without which this project would not have been possible